Saturday, April 2, 2011

I'm Lost

I've lost myself. In trying to make an environment that is calm for my boys, I've lost the things I used to love to do. Mostly due to Mikey's issues (I'm assuming they're sensory, but maybe he just doesn't like my stuff), I've stopped playing my own music, whether cds or the radio (certain songs set him off), stopped playing my guitar (although he loves listening to his music, he will scream if anyone plays the acoustic guitar), I don't watch any tv programs I like in the living room, again because you never know which ones or what part will set Mikey off, and frankly, for the past 14 years, a non-screaming Mikey has always been worth it. Those are just a few examples.

But 14 years have passed, and I'm just starting to realize I have given up just about everything that was me so that they can be them. All my artistic endeavors are relegated to the studio outside, which I can't access when Mikey is around (just what I need - a kid with permanently tie dyed skin). I have my books, but try to concentrate on the page you're reading while Mikey is engaging in his endless nonsensical monologue. I've lived my life in bits and spurts for the past 14 years, and I don't know who I am anymore. When I get some free time, a few hours on a Saturday afternoon, I have no idea what I even want to do - I hate starting anything, for fear I won't have time to finish it. I know I'm lost, but I have absolutely no idea how to find myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment